BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Rotten Tomatoes



The less I know about a movie the better.  For whatever reason, the more I know about the plot, or even the more I've heard about people's opinions of a movie, the less I enjoy movies.  For example, if I read a review that says the actors were wooden in a movie, than when I watch the show I can't get my mind off of paying attention to whether the actors are doing a good job or not, and I can't enjoy the story.

At the same time, I don't want to waste my money or time watching terrible shows, so I really appreciate the Rotten Tomatoes website.  As you're all probably aware, rottentomatoes.com compiles all the reviews out there and shows what percentage of reviews overall are positive for a movie, or fresh, and what percentage are negative, or rotten.  If a movie receives less than 60% positive reviews overall, then it is certified rotten.  Anyway, I like to use that as a general gauge for whether I should consider a movie or not, and the best part is, I don't have to read about why people like or dislike a movie, so I don't get those concepts stuck in my head while I'm watching.

Of course there's always times where I like something that the critics don't; most of those guys are "blockheads" anyway, but still, when I see captain america get 79% positive reviews, then I figure I'll probably watch it at some point.

Okay, so this is a boring blog post, but all I was really trying to say was, I think critics must feel pretty silly, when they review a movie and say "fresh and engaging...and quite funny", and then it turns out that they're the only ones quoted on rotten tomatoes that even remotely enjoyed the film.

2 comments:

inge said...

that is pretty funny. I wonder if the critic justs sticks by what he says, or if he tries to get it deleted because of embarrassment.

Sharon said...

I had never considered how a critic might feel when others don't share his opinion. I love Rotten Tomatoes.